Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Bane of My Existence



I am so. very. grateful.  for all of my family and friends that give us unfaltering support all of the time!  However.  I've always been absolutely notorious with thank you notes.  I have no idea why.  I think they are this big, built up thing in my head that goes right along with my perfectionism (that never gets me anywhere, mind you).  Here's what I think of them:


a) I feel it should be more than three sentences.  A simple 'thanks!' is not enough.  So should I mention the recent death, marriage, baby... (I suck at getting gifts out in any sort of timely fashion, either)?  Should I update them about our life? 


b) The addressing.  Who lives where, what time of year, or did they get evicted?  I don't know.  And did she take his name, or is he Mr. So (next line) she Ms. SoSo even thought they're married?  Are they married?  Did I send them a gift?  Oh wait, that husband died?  Damnit.  I just sent their wedding gift.


c) The stamps.  My one friend sent out all of her last minute invitations for her two year olds party, just to have them sent back to her (on the day of the party) because she used Christmas stamps- which were three cents too short.  Each.  Her kid didn't get any bday gifts from the last minute people who did show (like me, sans gift, that was in August, still deciding on the perfect gift)  Who really has the right stamps?  Oh, really?  You mean people who send their notes out on time?  All the time?  Dang.  Something to consider.


Anyway, long post short.  A rude awakening (a very, very close relative) got me on top of the ball.  My goal on Thanksgiving was to actually get them done.  All 30 of them.  True story.  I got them done. Addressed. (because what better day to give thanks?) Now I've got to go get those stamps.


So friends, family, they're coming.  I promise.  In the meantime, a million sincere thanks.  


And congratulations to all those whose weddings I've missed, babies I don't remember that exist, and grievings that have me tongue tied.  Be patient- good things will come your way.  (I may seem completely self absorbed- I might be- but I really just think my brain is melting)


New Year's Resolution?  yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment