Monday, September 7, 2009

Name this Flower




I am shamefully bad at knowing what the names of flowers and plants are. I can identify mums, daisies, snap dragons and impatients. Anything beyond those is VERY hit or miss. Does anyone know what these are? We have gardens across the street from our house, and we are graced with the sight of them out our front window. But I want them in my garden! They meet all of my criteria: big, beautiful, bushes, colorful, and deer resistant (evidently because they are across the street from my house). Help me! Help me!

(And if they are something very common that everyone knows except ME then feel free to spare me some humiliation by using the scientific name ;-) )

5 comments:

  1. Hibiscus? AKA the dinner plate flower?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no, really?! how embarrassing! I wouldn't have minded the scientific name. hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that the name of the flower in that picture was Kiera?

    (yes, shameful corniness)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a Hollyhock to me! Best part about hollyhocks, which your girls will love, is the dolls you can make out of them! Take a bamboo skewer and push it through the middle of the bloom, so that the petals are draping down to make the "dress". Top off the pointy end of the skewer with an appropriately sized bud for the doll's head. Loved making these with my grandmother at our beach house growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sooooo cute, alexandra! im hiring you for the summer to show us!

    ReplyDelete