Tuesday, May 11, 2010

There their or they're.

There are some words that actually make me crazy.  Some crazy to say, some to hear, and most when people say them wrong.  For instance.  I am to the point where I can barely stand to use a stapler anymore and will succumb to only paperclips.  For the rest of the day after the use of a stapler I have to use much restraint to not smash my face into a window just thinking of the word.  Stap-ler.  That is how it's spelled and that's how my brain feels it should be said.  Instead of staple-r.  A stap LER?  That makes me so mad I lose my peripheral vision.

There is this other word that I've been trying to remember all morning and day and night that I cannot stand hearing or saying.  It's actually literally making me crazy.  It's a common word and either starts with a 'd' or and 'f' and has one 'r' but everyone automatically adds an extra one where it doesn't belong including me and I loathe it.  It's something like 'friendly' or 'framework' and there is really very little choice but to use the word because it is so common.  But I can't think of it.  I've been picking my brain all day to remember it and my brain is raw.

This post is getting painfully boring.

Do me a favor:

  • library, not lie-berry
  • across, not acrossed
  • especially, not expecially



Sand Witch by sandmansnowman.
Let's be honest.  How painful is spelling sandwich.  Sandwitch?  Sandwhich?  That one gets me every time.

12 comments:

  1. this entry is making me psychotic just reading it! if you want some annoying words, just look at the ones i have to type in to post my comments. things like bilbo, slemev, scrapnor...who the hell comes up with these things, i ask myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny and I had to pronounce everything to make sure I was meeting your rules properly. I pass the test!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget about specific not pacific! The one that drives me double bonkers is when people say "I could care less" because the correct way to say that is "I COULDN'T care less". I mean isn't that the whole point of that sayin? Ugh I need to go splash some water on my face because I just got all heated by typing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Mrs. Chicken...pacific gets me all fired up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Good Grief. The actually words themselves don't bother me. But when someone misprounces them like you exampled, THAT drives me nuts. Expecially is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  6. uggg I hate when people misprounce words...I had a friend in HS whose whole family said Adbil instead of Advil...it was so weird. They also did the liberry thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, there are so many that drive me crazy. When someone says "ideal" instead of "idea"... or "take for granite" instead of "take for granted". CUH-RAZY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm adding asked NOT AXED to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this post made me nervous....I bet I'm guilty of misusing words...in fact I know I am.
    I type faster then I think and it gets me in trouble

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh, lie-bary gets me too! or valentime's day...eeck. or people who can't properly use you're/your.
    xoxo alison

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hutch got my favorite...AXE or AKS instead of ASK. Drives me bananas! Literally to the point where I cringe when I hear it. J's sister...who is a teacher, for Christ's sake...says AKS. It's making me angry just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's so comforting to know that i'm not the only anal person who gets annoyed with all that. your and you're get me the most. like if you don't feel like texting the extra -'re just put ur..then nobody knows that you don't know how to differentiate when to use which and it doesn't drive me nuts :)

    ReplyDelete