Her Grandfather's son (her uncle that she never knew) contracted diptheria. Basically what happens is a membrane grows over your throat until you choke to death. Enough said? No. There's more to the story. This little boy had to be quarantined in his house as to not let the highly contagious disease spread. His parents had to stay elsewhere to let their son die alone. Are you convinced yet to get your kids vaccinated? The father walked by his house one morning to work, and saw his son choking to death. He burst into his house to save/be with his son when he was dying. His son died and then the father contracted it and died.
I remember this when I have to bring my babies to get vaccinated. It takes the edge off my anxiety and reassures me that I am doing the right thing. But why, why? do they have to bring the shots in on a silver platter?